IQM Open Source Trademark Policy
IQM Open Source Trademark Policy
The trademark IQM signals quality, dependability, and robustness in the world of quantum computing. IQM Finland Oy ("IQM") is proud of its reputation for excellence in quantum computing products and services and wishes to maintain that reputation for the benefit of IQM and its open source community. This trademark policy ("Policy") describes the ways in which the trademarks, service marks, and logos of IQM relating to the IQM products ("Trademarks") may or may not be used. If you use any of the Trademarks, you must abide by this Policy. We encourage communication to prevent misunderstanding. If you have any questions or comments, please contact as described at the end of this Policy.
IQM trademark policy attempts to balance two competing interests: IQM needs to ensure that its trademarks remain reliable indicators of quality, and IQM desires to permit community members to contribute to the development and success of the IQM software. Striking a proper balance can be difficult, and we hope this Policy will help us to do that.
Underlying IQM trademark policy is the general law of trademarks. Trademarks exist to help consumers identify the source or origin of products. When a company makes a good product or a bad one, consumers begin to associate those qualities with the name and trademarks of that company. The reputation of a company can be a key factor in a consumer deciding to use one product or another. Allowing others to place a company's trademarks on other people's products can affect this reputation. Trademark law exists, at least in part, to help consumers avoid being confused about the source and quality of the goods they are using.
As a baseline, any use of the Trademarks should not be confusing or misleading. Beyond that, this Policy describes uses of the Trademarks that are allowed and not allowed. When we refer to "Trademarks," we refer not only to the logo of IQM but the name IQM and the registered names of IQM products as well.
Trademarks and the GPL
As you know, certain versions of the IQM software KQCircuits are distributed under the GPL. IQM holds trademarks to the wordmark KQCircuits. Please keep in mind that the GPL does not grant any trademark rights. GPL is not a trademark license. Although you may distribute and modify certain software under the GPL, you may use our Trademarks in connection with those modifications and distributions only as described in this Policy.
Modified Software and Unmodified Software
Genuine IQM software, which is sourced by IQM and thus properly bears the Trademarks, is the software in the exact binary form that it is distributed by IQM, without modification of any kind. Once any change has been made to the software, even if that change may be permissible under the GPL, the software should no longer bear the Trademarks. The public has a right to know when it is receiving a genuine IQM product that is quality assured by IQM.
Uses that Are Not Approved by This Policy.
The following uses are not allowed.
- Certain web uses. You must not use any Trademark in a web page title, titletag, metatag, or other manner with the intent or the likely effect of influencing search engine rankings or results listings.
- Combination marks. You must not use any Trademark in a manner that creates a "combined mark," or use that integrates other wording with the Trademark in a way that the public may think of the use as a new mark (e.g., SuperIQM, or KQCircuits Lite, or KQCircuits by -Qaunber).
- Company names. You must not use any Trademarks as part of your company name, trademark, or logo.
- Domain names. If you want to include all or part of an IQM Trademark in a domain name, you must first receive written permission from IQM. This includes uses for user groups, developer groups, or international groups. We may approve many such uses, but we need to do this on a case-by-case basis.
- Misuse. You must not use the Trademarks in a manner that is unethical, offensive, disparaging, defamatory, illegal, or in bad taste.
If you feel you need to use the Trademarks as described above, and have a legitimate reason to do so, please contact us. Some such uses may be acceptable under a written license agreement negotiated between you and IQM. However, IQM will decide this at its discretion on a case-by-case basis.
Uses permitted under this Policy
The following uses of the Trademarks are permitted, but in all cases you must use the Trademark only as otherwise required by this Trademark Policy. Also, if you use the Trademarks in violation of this Trademark Policy in any way, IQM may revoke your right to use the Trademarks, even as allowed under this Trademark Policy.
Developers and Affiliates
Unaltered Binaries. You may distribute binaries downloaded from the IQM web site to anyone, without receiving any further permission from IQM. However, you must not remove or change any part of the official binary, including IQM trademarks. On your web site or in other materials, you may truthfully state that the software you are providing is an unmodified version of a IQM application. If you choose to provide visitors to your web site the opportunity to download IQM binaries, you must do so by means of a link to our download site, to help ensure faster, more reliable downloads.
If you choose to distribute IQM binaries yourself, you must make available only the latest released version.
Modified Versions. IQM source code repository does not contain any digital version of IQM logos. You may not use the Trademarks with any modified program (including a modified configuration or build) that you create using this source code, and you may not use the Trademarks in any way to designate a modified version, except that you may truthfully state that the software you are providing contains portions that are derived from the IQM software, and then only by using the Trademarks in their word form. You may not use any IQM logo on any modified version. If you want to build an unmodified version, you should instead use our binary distribution only.
Extensions and Plug-ins. If you want to distribute extensions or plugins, you may not use the Trademarks to refer either to the extensions or plug-ins, or to a product that consists of unmodified IQM software built or installed together with your extensions or plug-ins. You should use the Trademarks only to refer to unmodified versions of the IQM software alone. If you are in doubt about how to do this, you should consider contacting us or joining our developer program.
You may not link our Trademarks to dynamically appear in the IQM software or on your website or applications. IQM invites you to link to IQM website, for the purpose of allowing your visitors to download the IQM software by using this hyperlink: https://github.com/iqm-finland/?q=&type=source
Services Related to IQM Software
If you offer services related to IQM software, you may use IQM Trademarks in word form to describe and advertise your services, so long as you do not suggest that you are the origin of the IQM software. For example, your web site might say "Customization services for the IQM computers available here." It must not say "KQCircuits design services sold here," or "custom KQCircuits software available here."
Proper trademark use. If you use the Trademarks as described in this policy, here is how they should be used.
- Proper form. IQM Trademarks should be used in their exact form, neither abbreviated nor combined with any other word or words. Do not vary the spelling, add hyphens, make one word into two, or use a possessive or plural form of the Trademarks. Do not abbreviate a Trademark to create an acronym. When using a logo, you must never modify the design, add or delete any words, or change any colors or proportions. The logo may be scaled proportionally. The logo may in its entirety be displayed in black on white background or using the exact colors used by IQM.
- Use of word mark. We encourage you to use the word form of the Trademark (as opposed to the logo), because using the word form is easier to do without violating this Policy. You may use the word form of the Trademarks in short form in all capitals (IQM). No other capitalization should be used. Use of the word form of the trademark should be in the same font and style as the surrounding text.
- Trademarks are adjectives. Always use the Trademarks as adjectives, and not as a verb or noun or in the possessive or plural forms. Examples of proper use: IQM Software, IQM Software application. Examples of improper use: Custom IQM I IQM-ed my system.
- Accompanying symbol. The first or most prominent mention of a IQM Trademark should be accompanied by a symbol indicating whether the mark is a registered trademark ("®") or an unregistered trademark ("™"). Please see our Trademarks below for the correct symbol to use.
- Attribution. The fact that the Trademarks are owned by IQM should be stated (e.g., "[IQM] is a trademark of IQM Finland Oy.") in a footnote or similar place, in a reasonably legible position and size.
- Separation. The IQM logos must be used as standalone icons, without any other third-party logos and/or trademarks combined or associated with them. A margin of at least the size of [describe letter or graphical feature of the logo] in the logo should be left empty around the logo in the background color of the displayed logo.
Possible Infringements. Please help us by reporting any possible infringement of any Trademark by contacting us at the e-mail address below:
IQM reserves the right to modify this Policy at any time. You should review this Policy from time to time so that you will be aware of any updates. Any updates will apply as soon as they are posted on this page.
IQM has tried to make this Policy as comprehensive and understandable as possible. If you are considering a use of a Trademark that is not covered by the policy, and you are unsure whether that use would run afoul of this Policy, please feel free to contact us at Raghunath@meetiqm.com. Also, we welcome your suggestions as to how to make this Policy better and more workable for our community. We like hearing from you!